Mt. Morris Community Engine Co #2 was purchased brand new by the Fire Department in 1930. Before that, Engine Co #1 along with the hose carts from the central and North end firehouse’s did an exemplary job of
providing fire protection to the Village. By 1930 the rural residents around Mt. Morris felt they were in need of fire protection as well. A new way of providing fire protection to the rural residents of Illinois was gaining a foot hold. Widely supported and promoted by the Farm Bureau “Community” fire protection was a way to achieve protection to the areas outside of the boundaries of cities and villages. Rural residents would pay a subscription fee to be serviced by the Fire Dept. The subscription fee was used to purchase equipment and provide protection to the Community around the Village of Mt. Morris. Engine #2 was the Community’s first Engine (you can still read “Mt. Morris Community” on top of it’s hood). It responded to all calls in the Village as well as rural, where as the Village Engine #1 would primarily respond only to alarms in the Village and would rarely
Engine #2 is a 1930 Chevrolet chassis with an Apparatus body completed by Obenchain-Boyer Company of Logansport, In. Engine #2 is what is known as a triple combination Engine. Meaning that it has a 250 gallon per minute front mount pump, it had two 40-gallon chemical tanks with a 150 of chemical hose, hard suction hose and wooden ladders. In 1947 the Fire Department saw the need to upgrade the community protection. They replaced Engine #2 with a new state of the art International with a John Bean High Pressure pump. At that time only having a two stall firehouse, with no room to store the old engine, Engine #2 was sold to the Village of Leaf River as their first motorized fire engine. The Mt. Morris Firefighter’s Association had long sought it’s return home. In the spring of 2014 the Leaf River Firefighter’s Association graciously agreed to sell Engine #2 back to Mt. Morris. After an almost 67 year absence Engine #2 was proudly backed into Mt. Morris’s Firehouse on the evening of June 12th, Engine #2 will be returned to operational condition for parades and fire prevention functions. Only donations and funds from Association fundraising functions will be used, Absolutely NO tax money will be used in this process, it will solely be Association funds & donations
1-Frank-25 is a 2009 Ford E-450 Medtec Type III Ambulance. It is an Advanced Life Support(ALS) Ambulance. In 2009 the District remounted the box off the 2000 ambulance and placed it on the current 2009 Ford Chassis. Modular ambulances were designed to be remounted and it is a cost effective option for the District.
Tender Co. 5776 is a 2006 Sterling/U.S. Tanker Tender Company. 5776 carries 4,000 gallons of water and operates as our first due Tender Co. 5776 has a 750 gallon per minute pump and has a 3,000 gallon porta-tank. 5776 has a 3-Way rear Newton dump System and carries a 35ft. extension ladder.
5776 responds as our first due Tender.
Command Vehicle 5790 is a 2008 Ford Expedition. This vehicle is set up to be a mobile command post on the fire or accident ground. It is equipped with a Odyessey Incident Command Center with a TV for the thermal imaging camera to transmit to to help the incident commander see what the firefighters are seeing inside the burning building.
Tender Co. 5772 is a 1979 Spartan/E-One Tender. 5772 carries 3,000 gallons of water and operates as our second due Tender Co. 5772 has a 500 gallon per minute pump and has a 2,500 gallon porta-tank. 5772 was purchased used in 1997 from a neighboring department and refurbished in our firehouse by our talented volunteers. In 2011 5772 was sent to Renewed Power to have a new 3,000 gallon Poly tank installed with a new Newton 3-way dump.
The Mt. Morris Fire Protection District received a 2011 Fire Act Grant to aid in purchasing this vehicle. Brush Truck 5765 is a 2012 Ford F-550 Chassis with a U.S. Tanker custom apparatus body. 5765 has a 500 gallon per minute Honda Pump and carries 260 gallons of water and 10 gallons of Class A foam. 5765 responds to off road fires in fields, grass areas or other areas that larger equipment can not go.5765 has a removable winch that can be placed on the front or rear of the vehicle. In addition to off-road emergencies, 5765 is equipped to handle traffic control and technical rescue responses. 5765 is equipped with a Federal Q2B Siren and a power call electric siren.
Tower Ladder Co. 5759 is a 1990 Sutphen 100 foot Aerial Tower. Tower Ladder 5759 is our first due Truck Co. and responds as the second company out of the station for structure fires. 5759 has a 1,500 gallon per minute pump and carries 300 gallons of water. 5759 is pre-piped for breathing air to the bucket. 5759 has a pre-piped waterway to the tip with dual master stream guns. 5759 carries 275 feet of ground ladders and has a back up monitoring camera. 5759 was purchased used in 2009 from a department in New York and refurbished in our firehouse by our talented volunteers.
Heavy Rescue 5747 is a 2000 HME/M & W Heavy Rescue Squad. Squad 5747 responds as our first due Squad for automobile accidents, carbon monoxide calls or for third ambulance calls. 5747 also responds for Rapid intervention Team calls. Squad 5747 carries of full compliment of American Genesis Extrication Equipment and is equipped as an Advanced Life Support (Paramedic) Squad. This vehicle was purchased in 2014 from the Bedford Fire Department in Virginia.
Engine Company 5703 is a 1962 International R185 Engine. Engine 5703 has a 500 gallon per minute pump with a 500 gallon water tank. 5703 was our "Village Engine" in it's time. It currently proudly serves in parade duty. Recently the Firefighter's Association replaced the lettering with 18K Gold Leaf lettering to help preserve it's traditional apperance.
Engine Company 5702 is a 1997 Spartan/Toyne Engine. 5702 is our first due Engine Co. 5702 has a 1,750 gallon per minute pump with a 1,000 gallon water tank. In addition to the water, 5702 also carries 30 gallons of Class A and Class B Foam. Engine 5702 has dual hydraulic equipment racks on top that carry a porta-tank and hard suction on the Engineer's (Driver's) side and Ladders and Pike Poles on the Officer's (Passenger's) side. Both of our engines carry 1,500 Feet of 5" supply line and have a pre-connected tailboard monitor in addition to several handlines.
Engine Company 5701 is a 2000 Spartan/Toyne Engine/Tender. 5701 is our second due Engine Co. 5701 has a 1,500 gallon per minute pump with a 1,500 gallon water tank. In addition to the water, 5701 also carries 30 gallons of Class A Foam. Both of our engines carry 1,500 Feet of 5" supply line and have a pre-connected tailboard monitor in addition to several handlines.
1-Frank-35 is a 2014 Ford E-450 Horton Type III Ambulance. It is an Advanced Life Support (ALS) Ambulance. This is the first new ambulance the District has bought since 2000. Since that the District has remounted the box off the previous ambulances.