"We Will Never Forget"

Copyright 2014 Mt. Morris Fire Protection District

Mark your Calenders - The Mt. Morris Community Blood Drive Group has once again teamed up with the Rock River Valley Blood Center and is gearing up to hold it's fifth blood drive of 2014!  The drive will be held at the Mt. Morris Firehouse at 15 E. Center St. on Tuesday, November 4, 2014 from noon until 6:30pm.  Donate a pint of your blood and remember your donation could save up to three lives!  Please call (815)965-8751 to schedule an appointment and as always:


​​
Walk Ins are always Welcome!

We need your help…
2014 marks our 125th year of service. We are looking for any stories, pictures, newspaper articles or anything you feel you would like to share with us about us.  We will make all copies and return the originals to you at no charge to you.  Contact us at one of the ways below:
Email: mountmorrisfire@mountmorrisfire.com
Phone: (815)734-4322
or mail it to the Firehouse at 15 E. Center St., Mt. Morris, IL 61054

Thank you for your continued support!

Contact Us:
​Fire Chief Robert G. Hough IV
15 E. Center St.

Mount Morris, IL 61054
Tel: (815)734-4322
​Fax: (815)734-7837

November 2nd we will turn our clocks back one hour.  The Mt. Morris Fire Protection District would like to remind everyone to change the batteries in their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms at the same time.  Having an operating smoke detector more than doubles a person’s chances of surviving a home fire.  Smoke detectors and batteries are a small investment to insure your family will be alerted in the case of a fire.  Here are some tips for care and maintenance of smoke detectors that should be followed: Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and outside all sleeping areas.  For added safety, install smoke alarms in every room where people sleep.  To increase safety, have a qualified electrician install hard-wired, interconnected smoke alarms so that when one sounds, they all sound.  Install a new battery immediately if an alarm “chirps” to indicate a low battery.  Replace smoke alarms that use extended-life, lithium batteries when the alarm “chirps” or fails to respond to monthly testing’s.  The batteries in these units cannot be replaced.  Replace all smoke alarms that are 10 years old or CO alarms that are seven years old.  Test smoke alarms every month.  Use the test button, or an approved smoke substitute, and clean the units according to manufacturer’s instructions.  Do NOT use an open flame device to test the alarm.  Special smoke alarms are made for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.  These units use strobe lights.  Vibrating devices may also help in some cases.  If you have questions please call the Firehouse at (815)734-4322.
- Halloween Safety Tips from the Mt. Morris Fire Protection District -

• Costumes should be made of flame resistant light-colored fabric or have reflective qualities. They should be short enough so as not to interfere with walking or become entangled in bicycle chains. Use facial makeup rather than masks so children can see easily. 
• Children should carry flashlights and not use candles or torches. Before leaving the home, children should discuss the proposed route, time of return, and companions. An adult should always accompany younger children. It is advisable to visit the homes of persons you know or local familiar neighborhoods, stopping at well-lit houses only. As a general rule, children should avoid entering homes or apartments and always travel with a companion. 
• Children should avoid busy streets, always use sidewalks, and follow all traffic rules and regulations. Motorists should avoid all unnecessary travel on Halloween evening, and when driving they should drive slowly and be alert to small children crossing streets. Many accidents occur when motorists are backing vehicles out of driveways, unaware of the presence of small children. 
• Halloween treats should be saved until children return home where adults can examine all items closely. Treats that are unwrapped, or show signs of having been opened, should not be eaten. Fruit should be sliced into small pieces and checked for foreign objects. Keep small pieces of candy away from infants and very small children, as they can easily become lodged in the throat and cause choking. 
​• Persons receiving trick-or-treaters should keep a light on and pick up obstacles that could cause a child to trip and become injured. Jack-o-lanterns should be kept clear of doorsteps and landings. Consider the possibility of using flashlights instead of candles to light Jack-o-lanterns. Keep dogs and other pets away from doors so children will not become frightened.
Stop up at the Mt. Morris Firehouse for Glow Necklaces and Candy for the kids!